Virtual reality is an artificial experience that can be similar to or entirely different from the real world. Virtual reality had many applications like in gaming sections, entertainment like movies, shows, and education sectors like medical and military training, business sector includes virtual meetings.
Virtual reality includes technologies like augmented reality and mixed reality sometimes also called mixed reality. Usually, virtual realities are used to create an environment that is not real but can influence the human brain to feel it as a real experience.
Virtual reality systems use either virtual reality headsets or multi-projected or well-arranged environments to generate realistic images or videos or games for the customers. These stimulate and influence the user’s physical presence making him/her feel the virtuality as truth.
It helps humans to look into the artificial world and experience virtuality. The headsets used In virtual reality consist of a head-mounted display and a small screen in front of both eyes. Virtual reality can also be created in a room with multiple large screens and well setup.
It influences both the audio and video senses of humans but it can also influence other senses using haptic technology.
HISTORY OF VR:
- Virtual reality is a technology invented in 1957 by MORTON HEALING.
- His multimedia device called the sensorama is considered one of the earliest virtual systems.
- The term virtual reality was coined much later in 1987 by Jaron Lanier.
- In 1961 Comeau and Bryan both created the first headlight which consists of two video screens one for each eye and another as a magnetic tracking device.
- In 1966 Thomas Furnass developed the first flight simulator for the air force.
- In 1968 Ivan Sutherland, a Harvard professor invented the first VR/AR head-mounted display called the “sword of Damocles”.
- In 1982 the movie Tron brought virtual reality to the masses and into the games.
- In 1986 the Furnass project on the air force concluded and developed the visually coupled airborne systems simulator.
- In 1987 John Lanier termed virtual reality.
- In 1991 the virtuality group released a group of games in which players wore virtual reality goggles.
- In 1995 Nintendo Virtual Boy was launched as the first portable console that could display 3-D graphics.
- In 1997 Georgia Tech and Emory University researchers teamed up to create Virtual Vietnam.
- In 2010 Georgia Tech and Emory University researchers teamed up to create Virtual Vietnam.
- In 2016 hundreds of companies started developing virtual reality products.
- In 2018 Georgia Tech and Emory University researchers teamed up to create Virtual Vietnam.
FUTURE OF VIRTUAL REALITY:
Virtual reality will create a major impact in the future. As virtual reality is finding new applications day by day its popularity will also increase rapidly.
Gaming is the main area where VR is mostly used. In the future AR and VR might get together and produces different experiences. Virtual reality will also get advanced. Virtual reality components also get lighter and smaller to make them easier to wear and carry. 3-D films will get popular where virtual reality is mostly used.
Virtual Reality is helpful to experience the artificial world which does not exist and see the things which we cannot feel. So VR had advantages for entertainment but also had disadvantages like impacts on health and anxiety issues while using etc. So use it wisely.