This article is for those who are keen to know about solar power and solar power plants which is one of the best electricity-producing methods using sunlight. As we all know that without electricity we just cannot imagine our life even for a single day so electricity is the major thing in our daily life.
Solar power is the power or electricity produced with the help of sunlight. solar power can be produced in two ways one is by using solar panels and another is by using concentrated solar power.
Solar Power Plant
Solar power is the source of producing 1% of the world’s electricity since 2015. And that became 4% by 2021 so here we can see the increase in usage and production of solar power in just 6 years and the international energy agency said that 20% of the world’s power must be contributed by solar energy.
Photovoltaics are also called solar panels that convert sunlight directly into electric current by using the photovoltaic effect. Solar power can also be produced by concentrated solar power which consists of mirrors and lenses that are arranged to gather a large amount of sunlight and then converts it into power.
The 1st concentrated solar power plants were developed in the 1980s. And then the cost of electricity had fallen and the electricity became affordable to all in 2020 providing the cheapest source of electricity in history.
HISTORY OF SOLAR POWER:
The development of solar systems started in the 1860s with the expectations on coal conducted by Augustin Mouchot.
- Charles Fritts installed or developed the world’s first rooftop photovoltaic solar array using 1% efficient selenium cells in 1884.
- By the 1970s, solar power was used by satellites but the cost is high.
- The 1973 oil embargo and the 1979 energy crisis are the reason to think about an alternative power-producing source throughout the world.
- Between 1970 and 1983 the installations and developments of photovoltaic systems has grown rapidly.
- The fall in oil prices in the early 1980s helped the growth of photovoltaics from 1984 to 1996.
- Then the growth still increasing for solar power till now.
SOLAR POWER PLANTS:
A solar power plant is the arrangement of various solar components like solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. The main insight of solar power plants is to provide electricity to the world at an affordable cost to all irrespective of status.
Solar voltaic technology is the best process used in solar power plants which collect maximum sunlight to convert it into electricity. Solar power plants are of different types they are:
- On-grid solar system
- Off-grid solar system
- Hybrid solar system
The on-grid solar system works with the help of the grid whereas the off-grid solar system does not bother about the grid and the hybrid solar system partly depends on the grid. There are also other types of solar power plants available they are:
- Solar power plant for home(on-grid/off-grid)
- Commercial solar power plant(mainly in on-grid and hybrid)
The solar power plant has many advantages they are:
- As sunlight is a renewable energy source solar power can be supplied all over the world.
- It reduces the energy costs
- No emission of polluting gases
- Long service life(over 25 years)
- Small footprint
- It can be installed in multiple places
- Rainy and cloudy days will affect the production
- Solar power plants far from the equator absorb less light and thus produce less energy
- High purchase cost
Solar power is renewable power that can be generated in an undefined amount according to the requirements. So this can be the best method to produce electricity for the increasing population. So everyone must know about it and should try to follow it to save our environment.